Chocolate sponge with coffee icing
1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
1/4 cup (35g) cornflour
1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
1/4 cup (35g) self-raising flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
300ml thickened cream, whipped
3 teaspoons instant coffee granules
2 tablespoons milk
11/2 cups (240g) icing sugar mixture
1 teaspoon softened butter
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease 2 x deep 20cm square cake pans;
line bases with baking paper.
2. Beat eggs and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer about 10 minutes or until thick and creamy. Transfer mixture to large bowl.
3. Meanwhile, triple-sift dry ingredients. Using a balloon whisk or large metal spoon, fold into the egg mixture.
4. Divide the mixture between pans; bake about 25 minutes. Turn the sponges immediately onto a baking paper-covered wire racks to cool.
5. COFFEE ICING: Meanwhile, combine coffee and milk in a small bowl; stir until dissolved. Sift icing sugar into medium bowl; stir in butter and enough of the coffee mixture to make a firm paste. Stir over a pan of simmering water until icing is spreadable. Use immediately.
6. Place one sponge on serving plate; spread with cream. Top with second sponge and spread top with Coffee Icing; stand until set before cutting.
Sponge suitable to freeze before filling. Not suitable to microwave.