1/3 cup (80ml) vegetable oil
1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed light brown sugar
1 cup firmly packed, coarsely grated carrot
1/3 cup (40g) finely chopped walnuts
3/4 cup (110g) self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
1 tablespoon pepitas, chopped finely
1 tablespoon finely chopped dried apricots
1 tablespoon finely chopped walnuts, extra
LEMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
90g cream cheese, softened
30g unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
1 1/2 cups (240g) icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Line 18 holes of two 12-hole (2-tablespoons/40ml) deep flat-based patty pans with paper cases.
2. Beat oil, sugar and egg in small bowl with electric mixer until thick and creamy. Stir in carrot and walnuts, then sifted flour and spice. Divide mixture into paper cases.
3. Bake cakes about 20 minutes. Stand cakes 5 minutes before turning top-side up onto wire rack to cool.
4. LEMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING: Beat cream cheese, butter and rind in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy; gradually beat in sifted icing sugar.
5. Spoon Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting into piping bag fitted with 2cm fluted tube; pipe frosting onto cakes. Sprinkle cakes with combined pepitas, apricots and extra walnuts.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.