Brandy-snap baskets with strawberries and mascarpone
Serves 4-6Cooking time:
Less than 60 minutesCourse: DessertFavourite flavours: Cakes/baking
These are quite delicate and may take a bit of practise before getting them just right. But it's worth it. Instead of the mascarpone filling, you can experiment with liqueur-flavoured creams or vary the fruit.
1 punnet strawberries, sliced
3 tablespoons caster sugar
50g butter, cubed
1/4 cup (60ml) golden syrup
1/3 cup (65g) brown sugar
1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
250g mascarpone cheese
1 tablespoon pure icing sugar, plus extra to dust
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
200ml cream, whipped
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Lightly grease a baking tray and line with non-stick baking paper. Spread the strawberries onto a plate or shallow dish and scatter with the caster sugar. Leave in a warm place for at least 20 minutes. They will become soft and release a delicious sweet juice.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat combine the butter, golden syrup and brown sugar,
and stir until melted. Set aside to cool, then stir in the flour and ginger.
3. Place small dollops (about 11/2 teaspoons) of the mixture onto the baking tray, leaving plenty of space in between. You may fit only six per tray. Bake for 5 minutes and remove from the oven. Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes or until just starting to firm up.
4. Carefully lift them with a spatula and drape over small dariole moulds or glasses. Remove when they have cooled and hardened.
5. Using electric beaters, whip mascarpone, icing sugar and vanilla until combined. Fold through whipped cream. Serve brandy-snap baskets filled with the cream mixture, topped with strawberries and their juices. Sift icing sugar lightly over the top.