Photography by Dean Wilmot. Styling by Michele Cranston.
Serves 10 or moreCooking time:
Less than 30 minutesCourse: Entree
, Finger foodFavourite flavours: Saucy
2 tablespoons olive oil
30g butter, melted
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 medium cob loaf, about 20cm in diameter
2 x 250g packets finely chopped frozen spinach, thawed
1 cup (300g) aioli (garlic mayonnaise)
1 cup (240g) sour cream
4 green onions (green shallots),
1 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
2. Combine oil, butter and garlic in a small bowl.
3. Using a serrated knife, cut about 3cm-4cm off the top of the cob loaf. Remove all the soft white bread from the centre of the loaf to form a bowl for the dip. Tear or cut the soft white bread and the top of the cob into 3cm pieces.
4. Brush the crust of the hollowed-out cob with a little of the butter mixture; place on an oven tray. Place bread pieces on oven tray, drizzle with remaining butter mixture; toss to coat lightly. Bake bread for about 15 minutes or until browned lightly. Cool.
5. Meanwhile, squeeze excess liquid from the spinach. Combine spinach, aioli, sour cream, onion, celery salt, nutmeg and freshly ground black pepper in a large bowl; mix well.
6. Just before serving, spoon spinach mixture into cob loaf and serve with bread pieces.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.